Site Menu   


Boards And Committees

Following are descriptions of each board available for appointment by the Cleveland County Commissioners. For a more detailed description, call the phone number listed in the description or 704-484-4800.

The Cleveland County Board of Commissioners board appointments are made in June and December each year.

Before being appointed to a board or committee, all interested applicants are required to attend the Cleveland County Board Training class. This class is usually held at the Cleveland County Administration Building in the Lane Alexander Conference Room. To sign up for this class, please call April Crotts at 704-484-4800.

Click Here for ONLINE Application

Cleveland County Online Board Training

NOTE: Region C is composed of Cleveland, Polk, Rutherford and McDowell counties.  

Cleveland Community College Board of Trustees  :  Responsible for the development and operation of  Cleveland  Community College  . Phone: 704-669-4004 

Cleveland County Adult Care Home Advisory Commission  :  Visits rest homes, commission report findings to county commissioners. Strives to solve problems and concerns dealing with rest home facilities in  Cleveland  County  . Phone: 828-287-2281 ext. 225, Mandy Johnson 

Cleveland County Agricultural Advisory Board  :  To promote agricultural values and general welfare of the county and more specifically, increase identity and pride in the agricultural community. Phone: 704-484-4800 

Cleveland County Board of Adjustment  :  Conducts hearings on appeals, variances and conditional use permits, hear cases presented by citizens appealing the decision of the zoning administrator, or applying for a variances to grant relief from the requirements of an ordinance, issues conditional use permits that require public hearings and set conditions on proposed development. Phone: 704-484-4947

Cleveland County Board of Health  :  Protects and promotes the public health of all citizens of  Cleveland  County  . Works closely with the Health Department. Phone: 704-484-5200 

Cleveland County Child Fatality Prevention Team  :  Reviews defined cases of child abuse and neglect including child fatalities. Phone: 704-484-4800 

Cleveland County Commission for Women  :  Increases public awareness and understanding of the problems, needs and abilities of women in  Cleveland  County  .  Kay Wallace, Chair 

Cleveland County Communities in Schools Board of Directors  :  Services include academic and social support for parents and students. Phone: 704-480-5569 

Cleveland County Jury Commission:  Prepares a list of prospective jurors to serve the  Judicial Court  system, District, Civil and Superior Courts.   Phone: 704-484-4800 

Cleveland Memorial Library Advisory Board:  Decides and plans issues concerning the libraries in Cleveland County.   Phone: 704-487-9069 ext. 222, Carol Wilson

Cleveland County Nursing Home Advisory Board  :  Visits nursing homes and report findings to county commissioners. Strives to solve problems and concerns dealing with nursing home facilities in  Cleveland  County  .  Phone: 828-287-2281 ext. 1222, Mandy Johnson 

Cleveland County Planning Board  :  Studies and makes recommendations on planning issues as requested by the Cleveland County Commissioners.   Phone: 704-484-4979, Bill McCarter 

Cleveland  County   Social Services Board: Advises county and municipal authorities in developing plans and policies to improve community social conditions. Phone: 704-487-0661, ext 755, Karen Ellis

Community Care Block Grant Advisory Committee  :  Advises county commissioners on distribution of monies from the state to agencies that assist the elderly. Phone: 828-287-2281 ext. 1225, Diane Padgett 

Foothills Public Shooting Complex Advisory Board : To establish a public shooting facility which lessens the governmental burden of Cleveland County and local surrounding areas by providing a safe location to educate and train individuals in the safe and efficient handling of firearms.  Phone 704-484-4800

Historic Preservation Commission  :  The Commission is responsible for recommending the designation of local historic landmarks to the appropriate governing board and the review of any construction or alteration to these landmarks. The nine member Commission is represented by jurisdiction: four county seats, four municipal seats and one seat represented by the Historic Shelby Foundation. Phone:  704-484-4947

Industrial Facilities and Pollution Control Financing Authority  :  Advises Commissioners on funding for economic development issues and for pollution abatement. Phone: 704-484-4800, Kerri Melton

Isothermal Planning and Development Commission Board of Directors  :  Area services on aging, job training, Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA), housing, planning and economic development for Region C.   Phone: 828-287-2281 

Juvenile Crime Prevention Council  :  Determines distribution of state fund to community based alternative programs for troubled youth in the court system. The council assesses needs of juveniles and also supports crime prevention programs. Phone: 704-480-5648, Sara Brunner

Mountain Valley Resource Conservation & Development Council  :  Examines conservation and agricultural economic development projects that benefit an 8 county area: Cleveland, Polk, Rutherford, McDowell, Buncombe, Transylvania, Madison and Henderson.Phone: 704-484-4979, Bill McCarter 

Pathways – Mental Health/Developmental Disabilities & Substance Abuse Area Board  :  (includes Gaston-Lincoln-Cleveland counties) Advises counties on how to implement mental health, developmental disabilities and substance abuse programs.   Phone: 704-884-2501

Region C Workforce Development Board  :  Assists individuals in attaining the skills necessary for employment and employers in becoming competitive in the global economy. Phone: 828-287-2281 ext. 124, Bill Robertson 

Rural Fire Commission: Ensures that Cleveland County Fire Departments buildings and equipment meet North Carolina statues by visual inspection annually. Phone: 704-484-4800 

Courthouse Archival Committee  :  Determines proper storage and use of Cleveland County historic artifacts. Phone: 704-484-4800 

City of  Shelby- Planning and Zoning Board (EJT Representative)  :  Studies and makes recommendations on planning issues as requested by Shelby City Council. Phone: 704-484-6801,  Shelby  City  Clerk 

City of  Shelby –Zoning Board of Adjustments (ETJ Representative)  :  Hears and decides appeals made in relation to the Zoning Ordinance of Shelby. Phone: 704-484-6801,  Shelby  City  Clerk  

City of Kings Mountain- Planning and Zoning Board (EJT Representative)  :  Studies and makes recommendations on planning issues as requested by Kings Mountain City Council. Phone: 704-734-0333,  Kings Mountain City  Clerk 

Town of Boiling Springs- Planning and Zoning Board (EJT Representative)  :  Studies and makes recommendations on planning issues as requested by Boiling Springs City Council. Phone: 704-434-2357, Boiling Springs Town Clerk

Veterans' Advisory Council: Helps Cleveland County Veterans by serving as a liaison with the community in coordinating services and activities benefiting Cleveland County Veterans and their families. Phone: 704-484-4800